Probate court

Kayla Grier
Probate Judge

Contact Information

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 70
Lexington, GA 30648


Physical Address
109 E. Boggs Street
Lexington, GA 30648


P: (706)743-5350
F: (706) 743-3514


Hours of Operation
Monday thru Thursday, 7:30 am-5:00 pm
Friday, 7:30 am-12 pm & 1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Click Here for Email


The mission of the Probate Court is to deliver justice to the citizens of Oglethorpe County by ruling over the probate of wills, the administration of estates, the appointment of guardians and conservators for incapacitated adults and minor children, and commitments to involuntary evaluation and treatment for people with mental illnesses. The Probate Court also issues both marriage and weapons carry licenses and performs a number of administrative duties which have been assigned to the Court over time. Jurisdiction for the Court is found in Georgia law at O.C.G.A. 15-9-6. Further information may be found online in the Georgia Code.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have a lawyer?

People are not required to have a lawyer to represent them, but in many cases it is advisable to have a lawyer. The clerks of the Probate Court may not serve as your legal advisors, and you should not expect them to perform legal or clerical services for you. They work for and at the direction of the probate judge. It is their responsibility to process the volume of paperwork filed in the office and to attend to the administrative aspects of the operation of this office. They are here to serve you, and they will want to do so to the best of their abilities. They are not allowed to complete any paperwork for you, nor can they make a legal determination or advise you on which proceeding is most appropriate or advisable. The information on this website and the Probate Court Standard Forms are designed to help you perform simple filings on your own. However, if you find that the filing is more difficult than you expected, you should seek the assistance of an attorney. A lawyer may not cost as much as you think. Please note that we cannot recommend a lawyer.