top of page

Please direct all questions to our email address - or call the office at 706-743-5270.  Please scroll down to the "Online Permitting" to find PDF  and online versions of forms for submission.

The Oglethorpe County Building Official is responsible for ensuring the public safety through the enforcement of construction standards. The Building Official reviews building plans, issues building permits, and performs inspections to ensure compliance with codes related to aspects of life-safety, structural integrity, handicap accessibility, and electrical, plumbing, fuel gas, heating and air conditioning systems. Oglethorpe County enforces the International Building Codes as prescribed by the International Code Council, mandated by and amended by the State of Georgia.

In 2014, Oglethorpe County passed Resolution 2014-001 to allow owners of property to waive inspections under certain conditions. Owners may complete work on their own homes as permitted by O.C.G.A. § 43-14-13. Waiving inspections is permitted, but discouraged.  Owners must complete a Waiver of Inspections form, available online and at the permit office, for every permit to waive and submit in-person, or provide a notarized copy, for processing.  For a full text of the approved resolution and conditions, click here.

Building Inspector
Tim Shelnutt

Jeff Sharp

Code Compliance

Contact Information

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 261
Lexington, Georgia 3064

Physical Address:

105 Union Point Road

Lexington, GA 30648

Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday: 8 am - 12 pm, 1 pm to 5 pm (closed from 12-1 pm daily)


(706) 743-5270

Click Here for Email

bottom of page