top of page

Oglethorpe County has many partnerships and agreements with the surrounding county governments, state agencies, and federal agencies to ensure the readiness to respond effectively and efficiently to an emergency situation.

Public Safety Resources

Who should you call to make a report?

Take the time to lookup your local emergency numbers and write them down next to your phone. To report suspicious activity, call 911 or your local police department, or the nearest GBI or FBI Office. The Oglethorpe County Sheriff non-emergency number at 706-743-8101.

What is suspicious activity?

Citizens could observe a variety of actions, statements, associations, timing or patterns of activity that may create suspicions of illegal conduct in their community. No one has a better perspective about what is defined as “normal” activity in the communities, than the people who live there. Law Enforcement has always relied upon the commonsense perceptions of Oglethorpe citizens who notice something or someone that appears suspicious or out of place. Participating in Oglethorpe's Homeland Security is just like taking part in your local Neighborhood watch, only much more is at stake.


When under High Alert, the Oglethorpe County Department of Public Safety has increased security at key county facilities. Access will be restricted at some facilities, and unescorted visitors will not be permitted.

  • Familiarize yourselves with buildings you frequent, prepare a disaster kit and report any suspicious activity to the police departments by calling 911 or the Oglethorpe County Sheriff  non-emergency number at 706-743-8101.

  • Have alternate routes to get to and from work and to pick your kids up from school, daycare and after school activities.

bottom of page