William Harris Crawford (1772-1834)
U.S. Congressman, U.S. Senator (President Pro Tempore), Minister to France, U.S. Secretary of War, U.S. Secretary of Treasury, candidate for President of the United States (he was the leading candidate but suffered a stroke). His great ability as a statesman and his six foot, three inch, "majestic" appearance led Emperor Napoleon to call him "the most regal man in my entire court," and the only man he had ever met who made him feel like bowing. During the height of Crawford's political career, many of the great men of the
nation came to visit him at "Woodlawn," his home just west of Crawford. Among them were Henry Clay and President Monroe, who reportedly consulted with Crawford about policies that led to the Monroe Doctrine. Crawford's likeness appears on a U.S. fifty-cent bill issued in 1875. Crawford County and the towns of Crawford and Crawfordville are named in his honor.
George Mathews (1739-1812)
Twice Governor of Georgia, first Georgian elected to the U.S. Congress.
Meriwether Lewis (1774-1809)
Leader of the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition, Private Secretary to President Thomas Jefferson, Governor of the Louisiana Territory.
Stephen Upson (1785-1824)
Legislator, one of Georgia’s most eminent lawyers. Once called “the wisest man in Georgia.” Upson County is named in his honor.
Wilson Lumpkin (1783-1870)
Georgia Governor, U.S.Congressman, State Representative. Lumpkin County is named for him.
George Gilmer (1790-1859)
Twice Governor of Georgia, U.S. Congressman. Gilmer County is named for him.
Joseph Henry Lumpkin (1799-1867)
First Chief Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court, he was instrumental in framing the state penal code, co-founder of the Lumpkin School of Law at the University of Georgia, founded the Phi Kappa Literary Society. He was the brother of Wilson Lumpkin. Educated at the University of Georgia and Princeton, he was renowned for his eloquence and intelligence.
David C. Barrow (1852-1929)
University of Georgia Chancellor for over twenty years. Barrow County is named for him.
James Monroe Smith (1839-1915)
Renowned agriculturist and plantation owner of Smithonia.
Content Contributed By:
Beverly K. Montgomery and Historic Oglethorpe, Inc.